Monday Morning MakeUp Madness
Is it just me or is summer just flying by? I can’t believe that our summer break is almost over. This is our last official week off. We will slowly start working on getting back into the routine this week. That means actually waking up at a decent time, we will start looking over the next year school work, and probably get started on it. I can’t get over, it seems like it was just the other day that we were so excited about months off and now we are getting ready for the school year. While I am looking forward to the structure and routine that the school year brings, I am so not ready for it. When do you all go back to school? Are you looking forward to it or are you not ready?Loading InLinkz ...
Normally on my Fashion Friday posts, I have great little outfits. Some are super easy ways to pull together your normal look. Some are meant to inspire maybe a date night. But they are all pretty much what you should be wearing type posts. This week I thought that I would mix it up a bit; and post a what not to wear list. Here is my personal list of the Top 10 Fashion Mistakes. Why is it a personal list, not just a universal list? Because I have made each and every one of them. While there is a whole host of fashion faux-pas, these I know from personal experience are just bad.
- Wide Leg Cropped Pants– Who doesn’t love a capri pant? They are so summery, a nice little shift away from a winter of pants; without having to be in shorts. But a wide leg cropped pant, will not flatter many body types. They make your legs look shorter, they don’t give any definition so you end up looking more box like, and lastly they make your calf look larger. So ditch the wide leg capri, and grab a pair of tighter ones. Skinny capris, with a loose fitting top, and a pair of kitty heels will make you look pulled other and still be comfortable.
- Jersey Fabric– There is nothing more breathable or comfortable then a little sun dress in a jersey knit. But that jersey knit, tends to hug the skin; and not necessarily in the right places. I have a little mommy pouch, you know that extra skin under your belly button, and this fabric will just accentuate that. Got a little bit more in the back side, this will hug and flaunt that too. So unless you are going to wear Spanx with it (and that just defeats the whole point of comfortable clothes) then stay away. Stick with cotton, your figure will thank you.
- To Tight– How great do you feel when you are able to zip up the back of a dress in a size smaller then you normally wear? I know that I have bought a dress (or two) simply because I was able to fit into a small. Just because it has some stretch in the material, does not mean that it should be stretching. Wearing something that pulls just a little bit because it is a big snug will instantly make you look a few pounds heavier. Instead, get something that is slightly to big and taylor it to fit your body. You will be amazed at how much better you look when it actually fits you.
- Printed Pants– Let me start by saying that I don’t like these. I personally don’t think anyone looks good in them, but they seem to be very popular. My daughter even as tiny as she is, has a hard time pulling them off. Anything with a loud print will add dimension to your frame. It will draw the eye, typically to the thighs, and is never slimming. If you want to be trendy, try a pair of dark colored skinny jeans. The dark color is slimming, and a pair of green jeans is very “in”.
- All Baggy– Lets be honest, there are days when all you want to wear is that pair of boyfriend jeans, with an over size tee. This will make you look slumpy and boxy. Boyfriend jeans are great, so much easier to wear on the daily basis running around with the kids; try pairing them with a close fit tank or a snug V-neck. That loose fitting tee, that is so great, make sure it hangs past your bum, and pair it with a pair of leggings.
- To Many Layers– Tying in with number 5, layers always look great; but be sure you are not adding to many. Want to wear that great new scarf? Then layer it over a close fit top, sans jewelry. Keep layers to a minimum to stay looking chic.
- Full Length Skirt– Can we say ” hello maxi”? I can say that I LOVE my maxi skirt and that I will continue to wear mine, while waving my mommy flag. And yes I am breaking two of these rules at one time and LOVING it! Mine are typically a jersey knit too. Yup they are jersey and full length; and I have no plans of giving them up. They are simply to easy to wear and a step up from my mom-jeans. But they add bulk to your lower half and they don’t flatter your backside. This makes you look shorter and heavier. Raise your hand if, even knowing this, you will continue to wear yours? <Hand proudly raised over here>
- Jeans have to much stretch– We all have had that pair of jeans that fit great in the dressing room, and after a few hours they are to big. Drives me nuts. Jeans with a bit of stretch are a great thing, they are so much more enjoyable to wear. But ones that have to much stretch, will give you that sagging mom butt look. When buying jeans make sure they have no more then 2% spandex to avoid this.
- No Neck– While it is summer time and no one is thinking about turtle necks yet, I could not pass this one up. Turtle necks are no one’s friend. When you eliminate your neck, you make your shoulders look closer to your chin this optical illusion packs on the pounds. Plus the single color from high up on your neck through your shoulders makes you look like you are slouching. Want to cover your neck? Pair a pretty scarf with a v-neck shirt.
- To Geek Chic On The Glasses– I am a huge fan of the heavy black frames. The geek in me cheers whenever I see a girl wearing them correctly. However as we get older, these will make our faces droop, show off those bags we try so hard to cover, and be to heavy for our more mature faces. For those of us that need to wear glasses, keep them light and delicate to keep us looking young.
And because I love my readers so much here is an extra one for you: Animal Print. There are very few people that can pull off an animal print. My cousin’s amazing girlfriend can like no other. Between her teeny tiny size and the color of her skin, she has mastered it. But still only on a rare occasion does she break out a cheetah dress. So unless you are her, please just don’t do it. I promise you it’s not doing you any favors.
What are your thoughts? Are you guilty of making any of these? Will you say “screw it” and continue to make them?
This month was my lucky month, I got two.. That’s right TWO BirchBoxes this month. Let me tell how excited I was. Not only did I receive two of them, they were both pretty amazing boxes.
Box Number 1-
- BeneFit Cosmetics- Posiebalm- This s a tinted lip balm. It is a really bright pink color, however, once applied it does sheer out quite a bit. I LOVE the way that it feels on my lips, makes my lips soft and smooth.
- Harvey Prince- Hello Body Creme- A citrus summery smelling lotion. What is great about this is that it is super light weight and absorbs into the skin very quickly, while lasting all day long.
- Ruffian- Rosary- What a great nail color. It is very pigmented and one coat goes a long way. It is a very pretty coppery pink color. Perfect for summer nails, without being to dark.
- Agave- Healing Oil Treatment– While it was a great hair treatment, and my hair looked skinny. Even with all my bleaching, sun, and wind this summer it came right back to my awesome pre-summer hair. The one issue that I do have, it weighed down my hair quite a bit. I have very thin fine hair, and this was simply to much for it.
- Vasanti Cosmetics- Brighten UP Face Rejuvenator– This was AMAZING!! After using it one time, mu skin was visibly brighter and smoother. I am excited to see what will happen after a week of using (only three times a week though).
Box Number 2-
- Davines- Love Shampoo, Conditioner, and Ol All In One Milk- This was a great shampoo and conditioner. My hair looked so straight and smooth, without weighing it down. The downside that I had, I received quite a bit of shampoo but only a single use conditioner. Not cool.
- Laqa & Co- Sheer Lip Lube Pencil- This was an odd one. It was full size which is nice, however, being a 3-something, I am not wearing a purple lip color. Not going to happen. Tink though was thrilled. Purple is her favorite color, and this is purple. It looks great on her, with just a bit of mascara.
- Jolie- Folie de Joie Eau de Parfum– I think that I am in love. This is such a luxurious smelling perfume. (I honestly never thought that I would say that sentence) I can’t even explain it, except that it is perfection packaged into a small bottle. A little bit goes a very very very long way. I put a single drop behind both ears and that was enough to last all day.
- Suki- Exfoliate Foaming Cleanser– I have not tried this one yet, but I like products that have multiple functions. This is a cleaner and exfoliate in one. Plus it smells nice.
- Egyptian Magic- All purpose Skin Cream- Okay I totally get the hype on this now. It really is magic. After spending the summer barefoot or in flip flops, my poor heels need a little TLC. This is just what the genie would have given me, if I had a magic lamp. A tiny amount goes a long way. I use the size of a pea for each heel. Just rub it between my hands to warm it up a bit, then massage into my heels. It is better then any pedi that I have received.
What is BirchBox, besides awesome, you might ask. It is a great monthly beauty subscription service. You will receive between 5-6 samples of new beauty products each month. These can be for hair, makeup, skincare, nails and really anything beauty related. For only $10 a month, you really do get your moneys worth. AND their customer service is way above anything that I have ever dealt with, they really go above and beyond to make their clients happy. If you are interested, click below for more details or to sign up. I promise that you won’t regret it.
Happy Friday!!! How was everyone’s week? Did anyone do anything fun? My girlfriends tease me, cause my entire wardrobe is white, black and pink. And 90% of what I wear is black with a pop of pink. My absolute favorite is a light ballet pink. It is so soft, so girly; to me just the perfect color.
- Shirt– I do love a simple black tee. They are so easy to match with just about anything. I love the long-boat neck line. It will always make you look like you are standing up a little straighter and elongate your neck. The skirt has a black belt, so this shirt ties in nicely with it.
- Skirt– You can never go wrong with a full length maxi. It will always make you feel put together. Don’t get me wrong, I love a good pair of jeans. But you just feel different in a skirt. I love how full this skirt is, no worry of getting tangled up in it. The simple tie belt is such a great detail tying it into the rest of the outfit nicely.
- Shoes– This is my favorite part of the outfit!! I LOVE these pink ballet flats. Seriously, I would wear them with anything and everything. Anyone else totally in love with them?
- Bag– Again the tiny clutch makes an appearance. This outfit is something that I would be wearing chasing the girls around, and possibly taking them to their ballet classes. Making this tiny clutch completely useless and not what I would have. But a girl can dream, and one day I won’t need the mommy bag every where. Right?
- Hair– How cute is this? Can anyone tell me how to do it? My girls would look so cute with this hairstyle. Makeup and clothes I can do; hair not so much. Help is always appreciated.
- Makeup– I would do a soft smokey eye with this outfit; tie in a little pink and purple (instead of black). It would polish off the outfit nicely. Then a natural pink lip. Soft, romantic and classic would be the best way to play this up.
What are your thoughts? Is this something you would wear running around with the kiddos or would you wear this on a date night out?
There are so many makeup brands on the market. It can really make your head spin. It seems like everyday we are hearing about a new line that is coming up. How do you know what is worth spending your money on? I put together my list of the “Best Of The Best MakeUp”. These are the brands that I love, and use every day. I went ahead and included high end makeup, mid-range and even some great drugstore brands. There is something for everyone.
For my high end:
- -MAC- There is a reason that this is a classic. It really is a great makeup line, they have everything in every possible shade. They stand behind their products, and always great to work with. Their makeup is blend-able, build-able, and you can rely on always getting the same shade.
- -Bobbi Brown- This is a new line for me. I have not been using it for very long but that is all that it took to make me fall in love with them. All of the products that I have tried have been amazing. I love their philosophy that all women are beautiful, and their makeup is all designed around that thought. Most of their shades are natural, and bring out inner beauty.
For my mid-line:
- -Too Faced- This has to be my all time favorite line of makeup ever, and I quite possibly own their entire line. (But that is our little secret) Their products are amazing. You get such quality for a fraction of the price. They are completely cruelty free. I could go on and on about them, they are my most go-to items. My daily use items are just about all Too-Faced.
- -SmashBox- While I don’t use them a lot in my “Look Of The Week” posts, I use them every day. Their primers are completely unmatched in my opinion. I use their Photo Finish Foundation Primer every day, along with their eye shadow primer. Slowly my collection is growing, I am so excited to have just gotten my sample box of their products. Their eyeliner is making a huge impact on my daily routine too. Plus I am dying to get my hands on their contour set.
We can’t forget about the great drugstore finds:
- –Maybelline– While not the cheapest, or most expensive, drugstore line, it is a great reliable go-to. I love their Baby Skin primer. It works just as well as POREfessional. Their The Buffs lipstick line is wonderful. For the few times that I use lipstick, not gloss, they are my go to. In fact I have Truffle Tease in my purse right now. If you are looking for a great mascara, you can’t go wrong with their Big Eyes collection.
- –NYC Color– I grabbed this the other day, by mistake. I ran out of BB Cream and we spend our summers in a little town, with no makeup counters. Target though, has all of the drugstore brands. Normally I like NYX, but with three kids in the cart I was not paying close attention and somehow grabbed the NYC Smooth Skin Fini Parfait instead. I mean they are pretty close in name and their packaging is so similar. It was like 3 bucks and is AMAZING. It is a bit on the dewey side, so I have to use a setting powder. But it brightens my face like no other, covers everything, and is very very light.
What about you? What brands are your best of the best? What are your thoughts about these?
LOTW- Queen Elsa From Frozen
Anyone else’s daughters STILL obsessed with Frozen? While I admit, I really like this movie. I like that the Princesses are the heroines. I like that the Anna choose her sister over the boy. I like that the entire movie was sisters trying to protect and help each other. While yes there was the romance/boy drama that is in all Disney Princess movies, it was not the main theme. See lots of great things to love about this girl power Disney Princess movie…..
After seeing it thirty times (thanks dad for making sure the girls got this on Blu-Ray to watch over and over and over) the song Let It Go, is kinda like nails on a chalkboard. Not only is the movie on constant repeat, my girls have discovered the joy of You-Tube and listen to the songs on there. Basically some aspect of Frozen is on at all times at my house.
No big surprise, that they want to be Anna and Elsa for Halloween. It’s all they talk about. Really… it ….. is….. all….. they…. talk….. about…. But, being the supportive mom that I am (now with a slight tick at even the mention of Frozen), I am on the search for a great costume that I can make easily. Cause to buy them from Disney is ridiculously expensive, no thank you. Part of the costume, is having the perfect makeup. So I have been trying and trying to get Elsa’s perfect. I have to admit it is harder than I thought. My solution? Onto Pinterest I go; this girl nailed it. She duplicated it so perfectly. I am so impressed!
I think that with it being on a person and the close up with the eyes closed, I will be able to duplicate it. Pretty excited to get started. How about you guys, are your daughters going to be Anna or Elsa for Halloween? Please tell me that I am not the only one with kids already thinking (and talking) about Halloween already?
Monday Morning MakeUp Madness
Happy Monday!!! How was everyone’s weekend? Did anyone do anything fun? After having so many guests, we enjoyed some much needed family relaxing time. We didn’t do anything exciting, but it was so what the doctor ordered. Our tradition is when tucking the kids into bed, we ask them, “What was your favorite part of the day?”. This was we end each and every day on the best positive moment. All weekend the girls said their favorite part was all day. They could not pin down only one best part. As a parent, these few moments, make me so happy. We must be doing something right if all day was their favorite parts.
Last week, while it was not our largest party, it was so awesome to see how many click through each person got!! Hopefully you all found some great posts. I know that I LOVED what all everyone linked up and so excited to see what you are all up this week.Loading InLinkz ...Loading InLinkz ...
OMG can you believe that it is Friday already? Where did this week go? It really does feel like the 4th was yesterday, how is it possible that it was already an entire week ago. I swear time is speeding up.
Anyway….. What do you wear on a girls night? The ones where you are not doing any crazy bar hopping, just going to grab a dinner with the girls to catch up. Me? I am all about comfort, well that is not entirely true. I wanna look good, WHILE be comfortable. This would be my perfect girls night out/girls catch up night outfit.
- Shirt– This shirt is all about Kat. I like that it is a simple cut, with some pop of color and a little sparkle action going on. Notice how the bottom flares just a small amount at the waist? This will hide any tummy bloat issues. Plus will give a little interest to the line, since the jeans are a skinny fit. You don’t want everything to be tight.
- Jeans– I love a great pair of skinny jeans. They just make me feel more put together then the mommy jeans I run around with the kids with. Anyone else? The dark wash will make you look thinner. Also, with the subtle vertical lines of the discoloration, you will look taller. A total win-win there. Thinner and Taller. Yes Please!
- Shoes– Aren’t these black strappy heels perfect? They would work with just about EVERYTHING in my closet. You could totally dress them up, pair them with jeans (like we did here), really they would match anything that you through at them. Perfect shoes in my opinion.
- Purse– When I am not on mommy duty, I like to have a teeny tiny clutch. One to many days of a huge diaper bag, huge purse big enough to be a diaper bag. That on my “off” nights, I want to just bring the bear minimums and then have a purse that is still to little to actually fit anything. Call me crazy, but that is what I like.
Is this something that you would wear? Or if your going out, do you wanna get all dressed up?
*This is a sponsored post. I received all the makeup I am reviewing
at no cost, in exchange for this post. But as always
all the opinions and thoughts are my own*
Lets start by saying that I love mineral makeup. It gives a great, flawless, matte finish, plus it is so much better for your skin. When it is a good mineral foundation. It is so easy for a loose powder foundation to go wrong and become cakey, chalky, or just plain weird-looking. Can we say hello pancake face? Not good. So when I find a really great mineral makeup, I want to totally stalk up and then tell you all about it.
Clear Skin Minerals- Healthy Face Minerals has come out with an amazing foundation line. It is a loose powder base consisting of: silk, clay and pearl (yes pearls). But also vitamin E and jojoba oil making it really good for your skin. It is designed to sit on top of your skin so it wont clog pores, or cause irritation. Since it sits on top of the skin it will also, minimize the appearance of fine lines, pores and provides a great natural SPF.
They sent me samples of both Ivory and Light Beige. When they tell you that a little goes a long, they mean a little goes a long way. My first time using this foundation, I used WAY too much. Thank goodness it is just makeup, so I could wash it off and start over. Attempt number two, was much better. I tapped my powder brush into the loose powder and then tapped it off until no more would tap off. Then stippled it under my eyes, around my nose and on my forehead (yes all without re-dipping into the foundation). Then using my buffing brush I started buffing it in. Re-tapped stippled it onto my checks and jaw line. Then with my buffing brush blending it in with large circular motions. I do think that I buffed it into my skin, versus letting it sit on top of my skin. But it looked (and felt) amazing.
This turns out to be a full coverage foundation. It covers EVERYTHING!!! All of the little red spots around my nose and on my chin were gone. It even covered all my freckles. A totally different look on me, since I normally let them peek through. It even covered my dark circles under my eyes, no concealer needed. All of my little lines were covered, the large pores by my nose were gone. Gave a remarkably matte finish.
I love that they sent me two shades. After using them for a while, the lighter shade is simply to light for my skin. HOWEVER, it is great to contour with. It brightens up under my eyes (while covering my dark circles), and on my forehead a bit. Since they are only one shad apart it is a very subtle highlight. Not something that I do often, but it is fun when we go out.
What are your thoughts? Have you used a mineral powder foundation or do you like liquid foundation? Why?
Influencer VoxBox Surf’s Up
I was so excited to be selected for an Influencer VoxBox. It was so fun not knowing what was coming, but knowing that I was able to get one of the coveted boxes. I have to admit, I was thrilled when I opened it up!!! It was full of some great products (some that were very much-needed at that particular moment too). What is even better, they were all full-sized products. No skimpy samples here. For those of you who aren’t familiar with Influencer, they are a great company that connects brands with bloggers. They run all kinds of programs to get everyone connected, but the best is the VoxBox. When they have a brand that they think you will match well with, they email you a pre-survey. You have a short amount of time to get this filled out and back to them. Then if you are a match they let you know that you are going to be getting a box. Way exciting!!
So now onto what was inside this great box:
- First Aid Therapy Shot– I have seen these in the stores, you know by the cash registers for that impulse by. Every time, I have walked right by it. I was pretty excited to get this one in my box, so I could actually try it out. And you know, it came in pretty handy that weekend. We had a lot of fun for the 4th of July. For whatever reason, I woke with a headache. (Really no idea why that was hehe) Trying to muddle through, I remembered that I had this on my desk from my wonderful VoxBox. I popped it open and downed it. Within minutes, yes minutes, my headache was gone. It was so fast acting, tasted good, and it actually worked. LOVED it!! From now on I will have a few of these on hand at all times.
- Hawaiian Tropic Silk Hydration After Sun– Again for the 4th, if you read my blog you know that we got to spend a good amount of time outside. The weather was amazing, it was sunny and warm. Just a perfect 4th of July day. But, I got horribly burnt. My shoulders, my back, my neck. Not fun. Normally I am an aloe type of girl; just keep slathering that stuff on. I went to grab the aloe, and saw this sitting there, waiting to be tested. Man this was so awesome. It applied more like a lotion, then aloe, and there was no stickiness. It immediately gave my poor red skin relief. Really felt amazing on. I am a convert, no more straight aloe over here. From now on, this will be my product of choice for the after sun relief.
- SinFul Colors Nail Polish– This was a product that I have actually tried before. They are a great nail polish brand. The colors always apply like they look in the bottle, they dry quick, and you only need one coat. (I do apply two, but I am weird like that) This color, according my girls, was the perfect mermaid tail color. Since blue is so in this season, it works perfectly. And all of us girls have blue fingernails and toenails. We are happy!!
- Jumba Juice– Okay in all my excitement, somehow this didn’t make it into the picture. But we also got a coupon for a free Jumba Juice. Let’s be honest, who does not love Jumba Juice. Can’t wait to redeem this!!! I might even share with the girls….. Maybe.
- CoverGirl Bombshell Curvacous Mascara– This is by far my favorite item in this box. CoverGirl is a great drugstore brand that never disappoints. This mascara gives amazing volume, length and curls your lashes. It lasts all day, without flaking or smudging. It is a true, very dark black. Best mascara that I have tried in a long long time.
**I received this box, and all of its contents at no cost in exchange for this review.
As always my opinions and thoughts are all my own.**