Monday Makeup on Wednesday… Cause that is how my week is rolling so far. Actually it has been a good week, the kids have been very into their school work. Which is wonderful, but my attention has been over that direction. Please forgive the tardiness of this post. But I am sure that many of you would understand. So without any further delay; here is my December Ipsy Review (I am catching up).
Alright, so I am just going to jump right into the November Ipsy Review. This was such an AMAZING bag! Really everything was spot on and even three (that is right, not one, not two, but three) FULL SIZED products!! Plus the actual makeup bag was off the chart. We really got our monies worth this month.
Well Hello Monday!! Anyone else ready to just go back to bed and ask for a weekend redo? We had a great weekend, don’t get me wrong, but where did it go? It seemed like it was Friday, then a blur and now here we are at Monday ready for another whole week. Anyway, let’s get down to another AMAZING Ipsy bag. October Ipsy was a fantastic little bag (and a bag that my girls fought over). Plus the lip gloss/liquid lipstick is a perfect pink for Valentine’s Day this weekend. So while a little late getting this out, time wise it works out perfectly.
Woo Hoo we are getting there! Today, I am going to share with you my September Ipsy bag. And I have to admit it was another kinda blah bag. I seem to be in a streak of not to exciting bags, which is kinda sad. While the over all value of the bags have been amazing, the actual product is what has been leaving me empty.
In case you have missing my last several posts, Ipsy is a monthly beauty subscription service. It will send you every month a variety of samples; ranging from hair care, to skin care, to makeup, to tools (think makeup brushes, hair ties, tweezers and so on), to nail polish and even more. You will receive 4-5 samples of a variety of items. Samples can range from a size that they would hand out in a store, to a full size item. Ipsy has been going all out lately with LOTS of full-sized items. This making the value of the bag much high then the $10 a month that it costs. Plus, what makes this service above and beyond for me, is that it comes in a reusable makeup bag. For a house full of girls, these bags are the jewel and everyone wants it.
What was in the September bag?
- NYX Eyeshadow Trio- Full Sized– I was so looking forward to this item. NYX has a reputation for being a low-cost makeup (that you can pick up at any Target or Walmart) but high quality. This particular trio was designed exclusively for Ipsy. However, once trying it, I was disappointed. It had a ton of fall out, the colors did not blend nicely, and there was almost to much pigment for the blending ability. Even Tink (a teenage girl who loves all things makeup) brought it back to me saying that I could keep it. Boo
- City Chic Lipstick in One Night Stand- Full Sized– Ok, I am going to admit something, I don’t like lipsticks. Yes, we all know that they can finish off a look, they can make you look more awake and polished. But I just don’t feel comfortable in them. Especially not in hot pink, bright reds, or purple colors. And Ipsy keeps sending me these colors. Needless to say, this is still in the plastic wrap.
- Pixi Brow Powder Trio- Full Sized– This product was better than expected. I don’t need help with my brows, as I am a muppet to start with. That being said, this was a great little trio. With the colors given (a very light brown, a very dark brown and a highlighter) you can create any shade to match your natural brow color. It is very easy to blend, looks natural, and over all a great product. Even though I don’t use the color, I am in love with the highlighter.
- Crown Brush Concealer Brush– This is a great, let me repeat great, concealer brush. It picks up quite a bit of product and applies evenly. It can leave brush strokes so you might want to pat your skin when done.
- Vasanti Brighten Up Cleanser- This is a fantastic brand. I love it when I get these samples. It makes your skin so smooth, bright (without being shiny), and not dry or tight. Highly recommend giving this brand a try.
- Last but never least (as it is always our favorite part) the bag– Gold colored textured bag. This month it was a big smaller than the normal bag, but looked so glamorous. It will look great in my purse to carry my daily use stuff that my purse has a tendency to eat.
Even though I was not in love with September’s bag, it was a great value and the bag was cute. What about you guys, would you like a subscription service like this; or would you rather use the $10 to buy something that you know that you like? Do you have an Ipsy subscription?
Holy cow it is November! Hope that everyone had a great Halloween weekend. My girls over here were so happy that it fell on a Saturday. A whole day devoted to Halloween Prep. We went to the pumpkin patch, carved said pumpkins, got all dressed up, did our trick or treating, then snuggled up to watch a late night movie, The Addams Family. What a great day. How about you guys? What did you do to celebrate the holiday?
Are you all ready for several weeks of review? I am determined to get all caught up by December. We will see if that happens though. In case you have missed everyone blogging about Ipsy, it is a monthly beauty subscription service. For only $10 a month, you will receive 4-5 beauty samples (some of these will be full sized product). Plus, a reusable makeup/cosmetic bag. The bag is what really sets it apart from the other beauty services, in my opinion.
But for August, it was the first bag in a long time that I was disappointed with. It seemed to have missed the boat for me. While I love getting eyeliner in the bags, cause who can have to much eyeliner, it was black and I am trying oh so hard to stop using my black eyeliners. (It makes you look so much younger using a brown instead, and I certainly want to look younger)
What was in the bag:
- Marc Anthony Hair Oil– I am always a bit disappointed to get hair oil in my bags. Yes, it is all the rage right now. Yes, people love it. Yes, for some people it has completely changed their hair game. But for my thin fine hair, I don’t need the weight of the oil to hold it down; making it look, well, oily. This was a full sized sample though.
- Hikari Lip Gloss in Merlot– Ugh yet another lipgloss that I won’t use. I am a chapstick, or nude kinda lip gal. All of these super dark “fall” color lipgloss are just not my game. But it was another full sized lipgloss.
- Doucce Eyeliner in Black– I was doing so well, not touching my black pencil eyeliners. Really I was. Then this one popped into my bag and I had to try it for sake of this review. (See all for you guys) It is a wonderful liner. Very creamy, no tugging or pulling, leaves a beautiful line. AMAZING eyeliner. And yet another full sized product. This bag was certainly was a great value, based on the size of the products that were in it.
- Eco-Beauty good night cream– This is one of those products that I have heard a lot about. Making me very excited about receiving it. I tried it the first night that I got it. It was a decent cream; not a lot of smell, and thick enough for a night cream without drowning your skin. But not OMG I look amazing in the morning moments; maybe for someone a bit younger, without any lines it would be worth it. So while I liked it, I won’t be trading in my trusted night cream for this product any time soon.
- Trust Fund Beauty in Elegantly Wasted– One more full sized product. This was a cute lavender colored nail polish. I like that it was a muted, matte type color. It went on very well, but you certainly needed two or more coats.
- Bag– My favorite part of each month is the bag. Between myself and my three girls, these bags are highly coveted. They get used each month. This months was a great bag. It was a black and white star meets chevron pattern (which we all love), with a hot pink zipper and interior. We may have resorted to rock, paper, scissors to decide who gets this one.
How many of you guys Ipsy? What are your thoughts on the service? Would you pay $10 a month for a selection of beauty samples?
Holy cow, it is October and I am just now getting to my July Ipsy review. Can you believe that it is already October? And to blow your mind a bit more, next week is Halloween. Wait…. What?? Where has this year gone. One day I will get these up the same month, but that is not today.
In case you have missed it, Ipsy is an amazing monthly beauty subscription. You receive four to five samples (and a lot of time these samples are full sized products) of different beauty products. They can be makeup, skin care, hair care, or accessories. What I love about Ipsy that sets it apart, in my book, then the other beauty subscription services, is that you also receive a reusable makeup bag. Which we end up using for EVERYTHING at my house. Plus it is only $10 a month, so way less then a lot of other subscriptions.
So this month’s loot was amazing! And valued way over the $10.
- Eau Thermale Avene-
- LOVED this cleanser. It claims to be soapless, therefore it is suppose to be non-drying, non-harsh, yet still very effective. It totally lives up to the hype. It left my face super clean, but not dry or tight. It came in a travel size sample, think hotel size.
- Octavio La Playa-
- The verdict is a bit out on this. It gave me some texture, but on my thin fine hair it gave me no, and I mean no, volume. In fact it kinda did the opposite. So maybe if I used it with some moose or something. But alone, I would not be buying this product again.
- City Color HD Powder-
- If you like HD powder then you will like this. It is really really fine, doesn’t leave a white shadow (so no looking like you just dipped your face in baby powder), and leaves a great matte finish. However, it has a tendency to settle into the fine lines around my eyes and some reviews say it leaves a white mark in photos. Use with cation would be my advice.
- Be A Bombshell Chapstick-
- This was amazing chapstick!!! I got the color French Kiss color which is what I was so hoping for. It is a very sheer wash of light pink. The chapstick aspect works amazing well, leaving your lips soft and pretty. Plus it was a full size sample! A win in my bag this month.
- Tarte Bronzer-
- Also another full sized product in one of my favorite brands. Tarte is one of those brands that always lives up to its name. This bronzer was in their classic shade of Park Avenue Princess. It does have a slight sheen to the bronzer. So not completely matte.
- While the bags are always nice to have, this particular one was not my cup of tea. I am just not huge on the Aztec themes. But as always it will come in very handy.
Overall I was beyond pleased with this month’s bag. Have you guys tried Ipsy? What did you think about it? If you are not an Ipster what would you want to see to sway you to sign up?
- Eau Thermale Avene-
I am so sad to say that this is my last month of BirchBox. While I have loved getting this everything month, it seems like lately I am getting a lot of hair products and moisturizers. Which is good for most people, but I am a blow dry and put into a pony type of girl. And while I love trying new skin care, it is a big over the top. All these samples just get put in my guest room, for my guests to use when they come up. And if I am just stocking the guest room, then I don’t nee to be spending ten bucks a month. It is still a great service and I would highly recommend it to anyone looking into a subscription.
This month I did get some great product, it just wasn’t my cup of tea. So into the box:
- No4 Prep and Protect– Now don’t get this confused with the No7 skin care/makeup line. They are two completely different companies and products. This is a great leave in conditioner. It instantly detangles even the most rat nest of hair, leaves your hair super shiny but not oily, and doesn’t weigh it down.
- Paula’s Choice Resist Barrier Repair Moisturizer- It claims to hydrate and firm, repairs signs of aging and reduces wrinkles on the face and around the eyes.
- Dr Jart Ceramindin– It is a super light weight moisturizer that delivers deep moisture. It does have a strong scent, not a bad smell, but it is to strong to apply to my face. Plus it does not have any anti-aging properties, so not the best facial cream. HOWEVER, it is amazing on the other rough dry areas on my body. I use a pea size amount on my knees and they are now are looking great; same for my elbows. But it is quite expensive for a body cream.
- Coola Sport Sunscreen- I LOVE LOVE LOVE this sunscreen. The bottle size is perfect to throw in your purse, it smells amazing like mangos, and it works awesome. This time of year you can’t get enough sunscreen.
- Marcelle Waterproof Eyeliner- Any other eyeliner addicts out there? This is a deep purple color, which I love. If you have brown eyes purple will make them pop; if you have hazel eyes the purple will highlight the green in them, and if you have green eyes then watch out purple will have them shining like emeralds. This eyeliner glides easily and has major staying power.
- Then last, Pura Vida Headband– It was a lace trimmed light green headband. I say was, because my girls have already claimed this and fight over who gets to wear it. It does not sit well on my head, with it being like a big rubber band it doesn’t stay on it just slides back; but on my girls it stays perfectly and looks super cute. While I would not spend the cost for the pack of these, I am thrilled to get one in my box.
Sad to see it go, but I am excited at the thought of finding a new monthly beauty subscription. How about you guys, do you have a subscription to BirchBox? What are your thoughts on it? Would you spend ten dollars a month on these samples?
I have been so slacking on these updates. I realize that. But it is because I get so excited about them coming, that I rip them open and go play with my samples. Then before I realize it, my samples are no good to take pictures of; thus no post. I will be working much harder to contain my 2-year-old response to ripping open packages and playing. It is a perfect monthly present, and one that we will actually want. Not that other monthly present.
Ipsy if you are not familiar is a monthly beauty subscription service. You will get between four and six samples each month (and some months you get extras). Sample sizes can be any where between a foil, at the counter type sample, to a full size item. This month I got almost all full sized items! YEA!! Each month, not only do you get all these samples, you get a reusable makeup bag. That is what set this service apart from the rest. We use those bags for everything and anything. And best part it only costs $10 a month.
Lets get to the exciting party, my June bag was full of all kinds of goodies:
- Lipitide 24/7 Lip Stain– This came as a full sized item; and the color pay off is great, it lasts forever, and doesn’t dry out my lips (although I still put Chapstick on top of it). But I really don’t like the actual color. I am just not into the bright, Barbie pink color. Guess I am getting old.
- Trestique Mini Eyeshadow in Kona Coffee– Another full sized item! I am loving this crayon, it is super portable, easy to use, stays put, and the color is amazing (dark coffee color, hence the name). You could probably use this all over your eyes, but I use it as a thick eyeliner.
- Smashbox Photo Finish Primer– I have gotten this a few times now, while most people complain about getting the same sample over and over again, I am thrilled to get it again. This is hands down the best primer on the market. Smashbox has a full range of primers, and they all rock! A must try for sure.
- NYC Liquid Eyeliner– Another full size one! I am terrified of liquid eyeliner, especially black liquid. This one comes in a pen form, and has really great reviews about being able to glide along the lid. Now most of those reviews are from twenty-somethings without any wrinkles or extra skin on their eyelids, so we will see.
- BioRepublic Fiber Masks– Yea for more full sized products! Gotta admit I am so excited to try these. They come as a face sheet; ie nothing to scrub off or try to peel off once the timer dings. Makes for using masks super easy. They came in a pack of three: Aloe Rescue (revitalizing), Green Tea Detox (purifying) and Cucumber Breeze (soothing). Update- I have tried these and they left my skin AMAZING!! They are a must have for EVERYONE. Do yourself a huge favor and check them out here.
- Last but not least the bag– This is the best part for me, I love their bags. The girls and I fight over them every month; they use them for toys and purses, I use them to organize my makeup and jewelry. This month bag is right up there with some of my favorites. It is an all black bag with a pop of orange for the zipper. The feel is almost a spongy type material. Very cool!
This month I way more product then the $10 that I spent. Very happy with it!
Do any of you guys have an Ipsy subscription? Do you like it? If you don’t have one, is this something that you would pay $10 a month for? What do you think of the samples?
So I have had a thing for Tarte since I picked up their last pallet, Tartlette. They are just a fantastic company, that produces amazing makeup. Talk about excitement when I heard they came out with a summer pallet, that also includes a blush!
Just like with Tartlette, all of the eyeshadows are matte. Which is my preference. Now before you jump on me, I like a little shimmer every once in a while. But for an every day look, or a smoldering night eyes; I prefer matte shades. But to balance out the matte eyes, the blush has a little shimmer in it. Not enough where you look like you were making out with Tinkerbell; but enough to give you a nice little highlight. And who doesn’t need a little highlight?
It comes with six all new shades, a brand new blush, and so perfect for summer.
- Summer Breeze– Is a yellow based nude color. This works great as a base color.
- Sweet Tea– Personally my favorite color in the pallet. It is a milk chocolate color.
- Ice Cream Cone– This is a very dark cool brown color. It works great for an eyeliner.
- Barefoot In The Grass– This is a very light peachy nude color. It works great in the inner corner of your eyes
- Peach Poppy– This was one shade that I was worried that I was not going to like. But it is an amazing peachy orangey color. It makes everything pop. Blue eyes will stand out, brown eyes will deepen, and green eyes will dazzle. It is by far my favorite shade.
- Picnic Basket– This is a dark warm brown. Which looks amazing as a liner next to the Peach Poppy.
- Glisten– Is the blush. In the packaging it reminds me a lot of Nars Orgasm. Applied though, it is not at all the same. It is a peachy pink, with just a hint of gold shimmer. It really does look like the sun kissed you.
Plus this pallet took a clue from Too Faced, and included a sheet with a few different ways to wear these colors. I always like it when they include some ideas. It makes it super easy to use.
What kind of pallets do you use? Do you like it when they give you step by step instructions or do you like to play on your own? What are your best summer colors?
Don’t forget to follow me on my social medias! Lots of great tips, and I love getting to know you all.
Are you a full skincare routine kinda gal, or are you a wipe everything off with a makeup wipe, slap on some kind of moisturizer and call it good kinda gal?
I fall somewhere in between, most days. If we are going to be completely honest though, at night I am never a full routine girl. By the time that bedtime rolls around, I am done. And the lure of just climbing into bed is far to great to pull out all the stops. Yes I realize that at night, would be the best time to get a really good routine; then your skin can absorb it throughout the night. You would get a greater benefit from sleeping with the serums and moisturizer on your skin. However, that is not going to happen. (Now in the morning is a different story. I like my full skin routine when I am getting out of the shower.)
Knowing that I am a makeup wipe kinda girl, I am assure you that I have tried a lot of different brands. You name it and I have most likely tried it. Some have been decent, some have been ok, some have been down right horrible. The main issue that I have with most of them is their ability to remove mascara. It seems that no matter what I do, I wake up with raccoon eyes. It is not a pretty look, plus it seems to stain my skin making it appear that I have dark circles under my eyes, even once I remove it. Not exactly what I am going for.
Neutrogena though was a brand that I have not tried. It is a drug store brand, but it is kind of expensive when you are looking at a bunch of them in the store aisle. When there are so many options, and this on the higher price point, it was one of the few that I have not tried. Holy cow, was I surprised.
The wipes themselves are not as moist as many of the others. I thought that this would be an issue, however it wasn’t. In fact, with the lower amount of “solution” it does not dry out my skin as many of the other ones do. The material it is made out of is more of a cotton like material, then a paper towel material. And is very soft on my face, without any threads coming out. My skin looks great; it is completely blemish free, every trace of dirt is removed, and even that pesky mascara is completely gone. From now on, these will be my go to makeup wipe. I actually went to to Target today and purchased another pack of them.
How about you? Are you a makeup wipe girl, or do you cringe at the thought? What are your favorite brands? Do you get them at the drugstore or always from Sephora?